Don't Miss This VERY Special Black Friday Offer
CNN Reporter Says the Quiet Part Out Loud About Afghans and the National...
Do Something About Prices, Republicans, Or You’re Going To Lose
Democrats Never Let a Crisis Go to Waste
Zohran Mamdani's Still Begging Working Class New Yorkers for Money
'Closed in Its Entirety:' President Trump Issues Warning About Venezuelan Airspace
Being Thankful Also After Thanksgiving
A Quick Bible Study Vol. 296: What the Bible Says About Gifts
Democrat Leadership is Sinister, Not Misguided
Texas Authorities Arrest Afghan Immigrant Accused of Posting Bomb Threat Online
Northwestern to Pay $75M, Enact Major Policy Reforms Under Federal Anti-Discrimination Dea...
Audio Company Harman to Pay $11.8M for Evading U.S. Duties on Chinese Aluminum...
State Department Pauses Afghan Passport Visas After D.C. Terrorist Shooting
Colombian National Sentenced to 60 Months for Laundering $1.2M in Drug Proceeds
Pregnancy Resource Centers Should Be Able to Operate Free From Government Intimidation
Tipsheet

Iran Reportedly Seized Third Oil Tanker in the Gulf of Hormuz

Morteza Akhoondi/Tasnim News Agency via AP

Last Wednesday, Iran reportedly seized an oil tanker traveling through the Strait of Hormuz for the third time in roughly a month, according to the country’s state media. The seizure has yet to be independently confirmed but, if true, will further raise tension in the vital sea lane through which roughly a fifth of the global oil supply passes.

Advertisement

Iranian state media reported on Sunday that Iranian forces seized an Iraqi oil tanker the week prior for “smuggling fuel for some Arab countries,” according to the BBC.

A Revolutionary Guard commander told state media that the seized tanker carried about 700,000 liters (154,000 gallons) of fuel at the time. The ship has been taken to Bushehr Port in southwest Iran and its fuel given up to the authorities, BBC reported. 

Iran’s oil ministry denied having any connection to the seized vessel and said it was still collecting information. A Spokesperson for the U.S. Navy’s 5th fleet, stationed in the middle east, told Reuters that they have no information on the alleged seizure.

Iran also said it captured the Iraqi ship’s seven crew members, but declined to elaborate on their identity or current status.

If it was actually seized, the Iraqi ship will be the third ship seized by Iran in the last month. Iran has previously seized a U.A.E. oil freighter and British-flagged ship in July and attacked Norweigian and Japanese oil freighters before that.

In response to the growing insecurity in the strait, the United States and Britain have separately spearheaded international navy missions to maintain security in the crucial water lane. However, these efforts are struggling to attract international support.

The alleged seizure comes at a time of ever-escalating tension in the Middle East as the United States and Iran remains at an impasse over the future of the Iran Nuclear Deal. The United States, which wants to renegotiate a deal with Iran, has slapped on severe economic sanctions on the Iranian leadership and economy. Iran has responded by re-activating its nuclear enrichment program beyond agreed-upon limits and waging gray-zone warfare on western-aligned targets.

Advertisement

Related:

IRAN NAVY

In one moment of crisis, U.S. authorities claimed that Iran shot down a U.S. drone flying in international airspace. President Donald Trump almost launched a retaliatory strike on Iranian military targets until he called it off in a last-minute decision.

Iran has broken two key constraints on its nuclear program, surpassing its stockpile limit of low-grade uranium and enriching high-grade uranium. The country on Monday said it is prepared to break a third constraint if Europe does not take action to neutralize the U.S. sanctions. Iran has not elaborated what exactly it will do in the event of non-compliance.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement