Judge in Luigi Mangione Case Issues Ruling on Evidence
Jeanine Pirro Issues Threat to Parents of Children Who Participate in 'Teen Takeovers'
Trump Moves to Drop $10 Billion Lawsuit Against IRS
Remember That Six-Year-Old Who Shot a Teacher? Well...
Scott Jennings Breaks Down Why the Left Gets So Violent When You Question...
Jon Ossoff Backs Anti-Voter ID, Soft on Crime Georgia Supreme Court Candidate Jen...
CDC Issues Entry Ban for Certain African Countries As WHO Declares Ebola Outbreak...
President Trump Takes Aim at Thomas Massie on the Eve of Kentucky's Primary
Amy Klobuchar Sent an Innocent Man to Prison, Now Minnesota Taxpayers Are on...
Secretary of Education Says She Put a Stop to FAFSA Fraud As Dead...
President Trump Just Made a Major Announcement About Iran
Stacey Abrams Admits Democrats Are Losing the Redistricting Battle—and It Goes Far Beyond...
Mamdani Reveals What He Believes Are the Nine Most Terrifying Words in the...
Iran Is Now Dumping Its Oil Into the Sea
Active Shooter Situation On-Going at Islamic Center of San Diego
Tipsheet
Premium

Lawmakers Probe Potomac River Sewage Spill

Lawmakers Probe Potomac River Sewage Spill
AP Photo/Tom Brenner

Lawmakers want answers about what caused one of the largest sewage spills in U.S. history to happen in the backyard of Washington, D.C. 

A Feb. 20 letter seeks documents from D.C. Water’s CEO and General Manager, David Gadis, about the January rupture of a 54-mile-long sewage line called the Potomac Interceptor, which carries about 60 million gallons of wastewater daily. 

The line collapsed on Jan. 19 along the Clara Barton Parkway and dumped untreated sewage into the Potomac River from the C and O Canal National Historic Park in Montgomery County, Maryland. 

The collapse dumped about 243 million gallons of sewage into the Potomac River, according to the D.C. water authority.

 

 02 20 2026 Letter to DC Water  by  scott.mcclallen 


U.S. Republican Rep. Brett Guthrie, (KY-2), the chairman of the Committee on Energy and Commerce, Republican Rep. John Joyce (PA-13), the chairman of the subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, and Republican Rep. Gary Palmer (AL-6), the chairman of the subcommittee on Environment, signed the letter.

The letter said that D.C Water and Sewer Authority knew that the sewage line was at risk of failure in May 2025, when it approved an emergency contract worth $44 million. The letter asked Gadis for answers. 

D.C. Water hired Gadis in 2018. Gadis previously worked at Veolia North America, an engineering firm that paid a $53 million settlement related to the Flint Water Crisis.

On Feb. 18, Washington D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser declared a local public emergency and asked for federal help and funding. 

The massive sewage spill shows the hypocrisy of the Left. 

Democrats push paper straws that don't work to reduce landfill waste and want to ban plastic bags. While Democrats complain that cow farts will eventually kill us through climate change, they mostly ignored and downplayed this massive sewer spill. 

If this were an oil spill, Democrats would be live-streaming by the river since Jan. 19. But this environmental disaster doesn't fit their playbook, so it's (D)ifferent. 

The sewage spill precedes America's 250th birthday, which is expected to bring millions of visitors to the nation's Capitol. 

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement