The Globalist Authoritarians Are Playing With Fire
The Only Thing Democrats Won’t Stand Up for Is America
The Press Says Not All Billionaires Are Spending Equal, and Larry O'Donnell Negotiates...
Who's Defying Court Orders Again?
New Bill From Chip Roy to Protect Exotic Hunting Ranches Could Bolster Conservation
Injustice in Nashville
Fighting Against the Tide Of History
The Party of Hate
Time to Lower the Boom on Harvard
In Germany, the Government Wants to Decide What Is True
After Many Warnings, Trump Admin. Freezes Funding for Maine Over Refusal to Comply...
More Bad News Could Be Coming for Planned Parenthood
USCIS Stops Biden Gender Policy ‘Effective Immediately’
Details on Biden's Endorsement of Harris Shows How Much Dems Were in Disarray...
Does This New Poll Show Hopeful News for Israel?
Tipsheet
Premium

How Senate Dems Are Reportedly Planning 'Revenge' Against Trump Over USAID

AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite

On Tuesday evening, USAID staff around the world were informed they were being placed on administration leave and ordered to return to the U.S.—the latest development in the Trump administration’s war on the international aid agency. Earlier this week, Elon Musk said he and President Trump “agreed” the agency needed to be “shutdown,” saying it’s “beyond repair.” Employees were barred from entering the agency’s headquarters this week, the website went offline at one point, and Secretary of State Marco Rubio was named acting director. 

During a trip to El Salvador, Rubio said the agency “needs to be aligned with the national interest of the U.S.,” explaining USAID is “not a global charity, these are taxpayer dollars.”

“People are asking simple questions,” he added. “What are they doing with the money? We are spending taxpayers’ money. We owe the taxpayers assurances that it furthers our national interest."

But it goes beyond that. Rubio said the agency is routinely accused of undermining the State Department's work in the nations they operate. 

“One of the most common complaints you will get if you go to embassies around the world from State Department officials and ambassadors and the like is USAID is not only not cooperative — they undermine the work that we’re doing in that country, they are supporting programs that upset the host government for whom we’re trying to work with on a broader scale, and so forth,” he noted. 

The left, which argues the move is unconstitutional, is now plotting revenge.

According to a report in Axios, Senate Democrats are considering “delays on all Trump nominees as retaliation for his restructuring of USAID.”  

Why it matters: This would go beyond the "blanket hold" that Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) has placed on State Department nominees. Democrats are furious at Trump's actions, and want to signal a strong response.

  • Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) told Axios on Tuesday that he's willing to place holds on Trump nominees on the Senate Judiciary Committee.
  • Blumenthal said the caucus is proceeding as if there is a blanket hold on Trump nominations.

As a reminder, here is what Democrats are defending:

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement