The Globalist Authoritarians Are Playing With Fire
The Only Thing Democrats Won’t Stand Up for Is America
The Press Says Not All Billionaires Are Spending Equal, and Larry O'Donnell Negotiates...
Who's Defying Court Orders Again?
New Bill From Chip Roy to Protect Exotic Hunting Ranches Could Bolster Conservation
Injustice in Nashville
Fighting Against the Tide Of History
The Party of Hate
Time to Lower the Boom on Harvard
In Germany, the Government Wants to Decide What Is True
After Many Warnings, Trump Admin. Freezes Funding for Maine Over Refusal to Comply...
More Bad News Could Be Coming for Planned Parenthood
USCIS Stops Biden Gender Policy ‘Effective Immediately’
Details on Biden's Endorsement of Harris Shows How Much Dems Were in Disarray...
Does This New Poll Show Hopeful News for Israel?
Tipsheet

Hawaii's Governor Explains Why He Couldn't Tell Residents Missile Alert Was False Alarm Faster

Hawaiian residents were terrified when a government official accidentally issued an alert earlier this month about an incoming ballistic missile, warning them to seek immediate shelter.

Advertisement

Worse yet, the mistake was not officially corrected by the state for 38 minutes.

Hawaii’s governor explained the reason for his slow response on Monday: he forgot his Twitter password.

“I have to confess that I don’t know my Twitter account log-ons and the passwords, so certainly that’s one of the changes I’ve made,” Democratic Gov. David Ige told reporters.

Minutes after the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency mistakenly sent a missile alert at 8:07 a.m. on Jan. 13 — terrifying residents and visitors across the state — some officials, such as Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii), rushed to Twitter to reassure everyone it was a mistake.

But one Twitter account was deafeningly silent for 17 minutes: that of Hawaii Gov. David Ige. Though Ige was informed by the state’s adjutant general that the alert was false two minutes after it was sent, he waited until 8:24 a.m. to tweet, “There is NO missile threat.” (The Washington Post)

“I was in the process of making calls to the leadership team both in Hawaii Emergency Management as well as others. The focus really was trying to get as many people informed about the fact that it was a false alert,” Ige said.

Advertisement

He promised he has since saved the log-in information on his cell phone to prevent a similar situation.

“I’ve been putting that on my phone so that we can access the social media directly,” Ige said.

The Federal Communications Commission promised to investigate the incident.

“We have been in close contact with federal and state officials, gathering the facts about how this false alert was issued,” Chairman Ajit Pai 

said in a statement on Sunday. “Based on the information we have collected so far, it appears that the government of Hawaii did not have reasonable safeguards or process controls in place to prevent the transmission of a false alert.”

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement