Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Isn't Happy With the Coverage of Her Trip to Munich
Americans Should Pay Attention to the Netherlands' Newest Tax Scheme
Check Out How Chris Cuomo Responded to the News That Non-Citizens Vote in...
Digital Asset Platform Nexo Returns to the U.S.
Gavin Newsom Vows to Combat the 'Climate Crisis'
You Should Listen to Bishop Robert Barron's Rebuke of AOC's Marxist Philosophy
Should Trump Shake Up His Cabinet?
New Mexico Gun Control Group Has Issues with Proposed Assault Weapon Ban
The View Reveals The Dirty Little Secret About The Epstein Files
DHS Firebrand Spokeswoman Tricia McLaughlin To Step Down Next Week
Georgia RINO Candidate Rick Jackson Shares This Controversial Policy with Kamala Harris
You Won't Believe the Voter Fraud Nick Shirley Uncovered in CA: One Woman's...
The Case Of The Man Who Got Deported For His Billie Eilish Joke...
CBS Exposes James Talarico's Lie Just As Early Voting Begins
Judge Rules That Authorities Can't Re-Detain Kilmar Abrego Garcia
Tipsheet

President Trump Announces What He'll Be Doing Instead of the White House Correspondents' Dinner

President Trump Announces What He'll Be Doing Instead of the White House Correspondents' Dinner
AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster

Speaking to reporters on the South Lawn of the White House Friday morning, President Trump announced he will not attend this year's White House Correspondents' Association Dinner. He plans to hold a rally instead. 

Advertisement

"I’m going to hold a rally,” Trump said. “The dinner is so boring and so negative that we’re going to hold a very positive rally.”

Last fall, Trump said he "may" attend the dinner. This is the third year in a row he will be skipping the event. 

Last year's dinner came under harsh criticism after hired comedian Michelle Wolf viciously attacked White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, who was sitting just feet away at the head table. The Association hired author Ron Chernow to speak about the First Amendment for this year's dinner. 

“The White House Correspondents’ Association has asked me to make the case for the First Amendment and I am happy to oblige,” Chernow said about his upcoming remarks. “Freedom of the press is always a timely subject and this seems like the perfect moment to go back to basics. My major worry these days is that we Americans will forget who we are as a people and historians should serve as our chief custodians in preserving that rich storehouse of memory. While I have never been mistaken for a stand-up comedian, I promise that my history lesson won’t be dry.”

Advertisement

“I’m delighted that Ron will share his lively, deeply researched perspectives on American politics and history at the 2019 White House Correspondents’ Dinner,” WHCA President Olvier Knox released in a statement last year. “As we celebrate the importance of a free and independent news media to the health of the republic, I look forward to hearing Ron place this unusual moment in the context of American history.”

No word yet on whether White House staff will also skip the event.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement