Dems' Rejoicing Over the Supreme Court Ruling on Trump's Tariffs Got Wrecked...by CNN?
'Out of Nowhere' Canadians Are Now Poorer Than Alabamians. The Reactions Have Been...
Student ‘ICE Out’ Protests Go Viral Across US – Now Schools are Taking...
Here's Why the US Is Losing Farms at an Alarming Rate
This State Is Getting Closer to Eliminating Property Taxes
‘Privileged, White, and Well-Off’? Canada’s MAiD Program Just Got Even More Disturbing
Feds Indict Six More in Venezuelan Gang's High-Tech ATM Heist – Total Hits...
Michigan Auto Dealer Management Firm Pays $1.5M to Settle PPP Fraud Claims
Here's How Mamdani's Snow Shoveling Program Is Reveals the Leftist Lie on Voter...
Toxic Chemical Poured on Trump-Kennedy Center Ice Rink, Performance Canceled
Lawmakers Probe Potomac River Sewage Spill
Ukrainian Man Ran 'Upworksell.com' to Sell Stolen Identities for Overseas IT Workers, Cour...
The DOJ Has Canned the Most Liberal Immigration Judge in America
Fake Immigration Law Firm Busted in Brooklyn Federal Indictment
It's True: Gavin Newsom's California Government Has Paid Protestors Over $100 Million
Tipsheet

This News Outlet Just Sent the Stock Market Into a Frenzy With Fake News About Trump's Tariffs

This News Outlet Just Sent the Stock Market Into a Frenzy With Fake News About Trump's Tariffs
AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein

CNBC stepped in it big time when it published a headline claiming that President Donald Trump is considering a three-month pause on the tariffs he imposed last week.

Advertisement

On its chyron, the network claimed White House economic adviser Kevin Hassett said “Trump is considering a 90-day pause in tariffs for all countries except China.”

The fake news spread like wildfire on social media, with many users reposting the false headline. The stock market spiked eight percentage points after the headline was reposted on X, as illustrated by Bloomberg’s Joe Weisenthal. Yet, after it was revealed that Hassett never said this, the market took a 3.5 percent drop.

In reality, Hassett did discuss a potential pause during an appearance on Fox News with host Brian Kilmeade, who asked if such a move was being considered.

“I think that the President is going to decide what the President is going to decide,” Hassett replied. “There are more than 50 countries in negotiation with the President.”

The adviser explained that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is visiting the White House to discuss the tariff situation. He also noted that Trump’s team “had a reach out overnight from Taiwan.”

Hassett further urged critics of the tariff plan “to ease off the rhetoric a little bit.”

Advertisement

The fact is that, say, a ten percent baseline tariff is on 14 percent of GDP. That's about how much trade we have, how many imports. And so 86 percent of GDP is affected by the deregulation and the tax cuts and everything else … even if you think that there will be some negative effect from the trade side, that's still a small share of GDP. The idea that it's going to be a nuclear winter or something like that is completely irresponsible.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt affirmed on Monday that there will be no pause in Trump’s tariff plan as CNBC intimated. A CNBC reported indicated that he spoke with Leavitt on a phone call and she told him it is “fake news that the White House is considering a 90-day pause” and that President Trump “is committed to his tariff regime and any reports that he’s considering a 90-day pause are ‘fake news.’”

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement