The Death of Cross-Examination
CNN Guest Has Found This Narrative to Be Supremely Boring..And That Was Just...
Here's Another Lib Female Meltdown...and It's a Doozy
Bloomberg Reporter Caught Giving Marco Rubio the Finger During Presser With Hungarian PM
Olympian Who Bashed Trump Over LGBTQ Rights Is Out of Medal Contention
Mamdani's Solution to City's Budget Shortfall Is Exactly What You'd Expect
Anti-ICE Groups Have Found a New Way to 'Resist' Federal Immigration Laws
Who Taught Teachers’ Unions to Stop Teaching?
They'll Never Learn
No Space for Homan on Locating Missing Migrant Children
Rubio Follows in Reagan's Footsteps
Restore Upward Mobility by Restoring the Dream of Home Ownership
California’s Gasoline Prices Aren’t a Jones Act Problem — They’re a California Policy...
AI Companies Aren’t Our Masters, Yet
Is ‘Hate Reading’ Fueling Transgender Violence?
Tipsheet

Judges Order Trump Admin to Fund SNAP — There's Just One Problem

Judges Order Trump Admin to Fund SNAP — There's Just One Problem
AP Photo/Gerald Herbert, File

Two federal judges have just ruled that the Trump administration must use contingency funds for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

Advertisement

Here's more:

Two federal judges ruled nearly simultaneously on Friday that President Donald Trump’s administration must to continue to fund SNAP, the nation’s biggest food aid program, using contingency funds during the government shutdown.

The rulings came a day before the U.S. Department of Agriculture planned to freeze payments to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program because it said it could no longer keep funding it due to the shutdown.

The program serves about 1 in 8 Americans and is a major piece of the nation’s social safety net. Word in October that it would be a Nov. 1 casualty of the shutdown sent states, food banks and SNAP recipients scrambling to figure out how to secure food. Some states said they would spend their own funds to keep versions of the program going.

The Trump administration has long said it doesn't have the legal authority to use the contingency funds to pay for SNAP benefits during the prolonged Schumer Shutdown.

Advertisement

"The steps involve finding an equitable way of reducing benefits," U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani told lawyers during a Thursday hearing. 

The Trump administration says the best way to restore SNAP funding is for Democrats to vote to reopen the government.

Earlier today, Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins also echoed the call to Democrats to open the government.

Talwani is the same judge who blocked Congress from defunding Planned Parenthood earlier this year and, as some pointed out, has no authority over Congressional spending.

Advertisement

It is likely the Trump administration will appeal these rulings.

Editor’s Note: The Schumer Shutdown is here. Rather than put the American people first, Chuck Schumer and the radical Democrats forced a government shutdown for healthcare for illegals. They own this.

Help us continue to report the truth about the Schumer Shutdown. Use promo code POTUS47 to get 74% off your VIP membership.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement