Don't Miss This VERY Special Black Friday Offer
CNN Reporter Says the Quiet Part Out Loud About Afghans and the National...
Do Something About Prices, Republicans, Or You’re Going To Lose
Democrats Never Let a Crisis Go to Waste
Zohran Mamdani's Still Begging Working Class New Yorkers for Money
'Closed in Its Entirety:' President Trump Issues Warning About Venezuelan Airspace
Being Thankful Also After Thanksgiving
A Quick Bible Study Vol. 296: What the Bible Says About Gifts
Democrat Leadership is Sinister, Not Misguided
Texas Authorities Arrest Afghan Immigrant Accused of Posting Bomb Threat Online
Northwestern to Pay $75M, Enact Major Policy Reforms Under Federal Anti-Discrimination Dea...
Audio Company Harman to Pay $11.8M for Evading U.S. Duties on Chinese Aluminum...
State Department Pauses Afghan Passport Visas After D.C. Terrorist Shooting
Colombian National Sentenced to 60 Months for Laundering $1.2M in Drug Proceeds
Pregnancy Resource Centers Should Be Able to Operate Free From Government Intimidation
OPINION

America Demands Truth on Benghazi

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Townhall.com.

On Sept. 11, 2012, four brave American diplomats were killed and 10 other Americans were injured in Benghazi, Libya, by a mob of between 125 and 150 heavily armed Islamists.

Advertisement

This jarring event was a grim reminder of the continued threat to America that exists and should have been a wake-up call to the Obama administration about the deadly nature of radical Islam. But here we are now, nine months later, and there still are no answers or explanations from the Obama administration about what exactly happened, why it happened and what those in charge knew while it was happening.

It's time for answers, and it's time for our commander in chief to stop stonewalling. Americans need and deserve to know the truth.

The attacks occurred, of course, on the anniversary of the deadliest terrorist attack ever on American soil and in a region full of anti-Americanism and radical Islam. They were carried out by men wearing tunics and flak jackets, driving trucks with the logo of a known Islamist militant group and screaming, "Allahu akbar."

With just those basic facts, it's not hard to see what happened here. Our American diplomats were the victims of a coordinated terrorist attack carried out by the same type of people who crashed planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon 11 years earlier. These were the same people who have been determined to inflict as much harm on us as they possibly can. They're the same people who will continue to target and murder innocents in the name of jihad.

Advertisement

So why has it been so hard for the Obama administration to say this? What did it know about these attacks and when? And in the face of mounting evidence on the nature of the Benghazi tragedy, why isn't it saying anything? Is it the case that the diplomats were concerned about their safety and requested additional security that never arrived? And why was Gregory Hicks, a veteran State Department official who raised questions about the administration's version of what happened, demoted? Those are the questions we want answered. Those are the questions Americans deserved to have answered.

After the attacks, then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton blamed the incident on an inflammatory low-budget and obscure Internet movie, which supposedly was produced in the U.S. and is offensive to Muslims. In talking points circulated in the administration to be used on television news programs, the attacks were attributed to "spontaneous demonstrations" about what she called the "awful Internet video." Clinton has said the buck stops with her on the Benghazi attacks. If that's true, that responsibility requires answering the important questions about who knew what and when.

Earlier this year, when called to testify before Congress on the matter, Clinton asked, "What difference, at this point, does it make?" Clinton meant: Why should we care about whether they were spontaneous demonstrations or they were coordinated terrorist attacks? Well, it makes a big difference. It matters in how we prepare ourselves and prevent future attacks. It matters to the victims' families, and it matters to the American people. We need leaders who are willing to be open and honest about these attacks and other threats to Americans. I agree with this statement by Rep. Trey Gowdy, (R-SC): "There's no statute of limitations on the truth." It does make a difference. It does matter.

Advertisement

Fortunately, this matter is not closed. The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is conducting hearings to uncover new and important details on the attacks from those who were involved. And there is plenty of good work being done by media outlets such as the Weekly Standard to shine light on this tragedy. I think that we've only scratched the surface on what led up to the attacks and that there is much more to come out.

Patriot Voices, an organization I co-founded, has been watching this scandal unfold each day, sharing with you our disbelief that we still don't know the truth about what happened that night. We have created a compelling video titled "Demand the Truth about Benghazi" on YouTube, which asks the questions we want answered from Clinton. It's time we hear the truth about what happened in the days leading up to those attacks, what our government is going to do to seek justice for those lives lost and how it will prevent such deadly assaults in the future.

I hope you agree that it's time for Clinton to answer these questions, and I ask that you please share this video on your Facebook page and with your Twitter followers. We can only get the truth if millions of Americans stand together to demand it. Help us expose the truth about what happened in Benghazi when four brave Americans were brutally killed.

Advertisement

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement