Don't Miss This VERY Special Black Friday Offer
CNN Reporter Says the Quiet Part Out Loud About Afghans and the National...
Do Something About Prices, Republicans, Or You’re Going To Lose
Democrats Never Let a Crisis Go to Waste
Zohran Mamdani's Still Begging Working Class New Yorkers for Money
'Closed in Its Entirety:' President Trump Issues Warning About Venezuelan Airspace
Being Thankful Also After Thanksgiving
A Quick Bible Study Vol. 296: What the Bible Says About Gifts
Democrat Leadership is Sinister, Not Misguided
Texas Authorities Arrest Afghan Immigrant Accused of Posting Bomb Threat Online
Northwestern to Pay $75M, Enact Major Policy Reforms Under Federal Anti-Discrimination Dea...
Audio Company Harman to Pay $11.8M for Evading U.S. Duties on Chinese Aluminum...
State Department Pauses Afghan Passport Visas After D.C. Terrorist Shooting
Colombian National Sentenced to 60 Months for Laundering $1.2M in Drug Proceeds
Pregnancy Resource Centers Should Be Able to Operate Free From Government Intimidation
OPINION

MN Court's Friday 13th Decision Might Haunt

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Townhall.com.

The 3-judge panel overseeing the ongoing recount between Norm Coleman and Al Franken for Minnesota’s Senate seat made a ruling last week they may regret.

The court ruled on Friday the 13th that 13 of the 17 determined categories of rejected absentee ballots would no longer be accepted for examination in the recount.

Advertisement

What's wrong with that?

Well, just three days earlier a pool of ballots were accepted that contained ballots similar to those that were ruled unacceptable by the court on the 13th. The Coleman campaign argues “scores” of the 933 ballots opened on January 3rd would have been counted, too.

Coleman lawyer Ben Ginsberg said the court has created “a real problem for itself and the reliability of these proceedings,” in a statement released Wednesday.

Indeed. In order for anyone to be legally named as Minnesota’s Senator, the court will have to certify all legally cast ballots. Under their own standards, by way of the Friday the 13th ruling, the court has conceded illegal ballots have been included in their counts.

The Coleman campaign has asked the court to repeal their decision, but their appeal was rejected Wednesday.

“The net effect of the court’s February 13th ruling, and their decision today to not reconsider this ruling, is a legal quagmire that makes ascertaining a final, legitimate result to this election even more difficult,” Ginsberg said. The Coleman team maintain that a consistent standard be applied in ballot counting and more categories of rejected absentee ballots must be accepted.

Advertisement

The court’s ruling reducing the pool of rejected ballots to be considered from roughly 4,700 to 3,500. The pool is still large enough, however, to give Coleman lots of room to pull ahead of Franken.

After the election Coleman was more than 700 votes ahead of Franken, but slim enough to trigger a recount. At this stage in the recount Franken is ahead of Coleman by 225 ballots.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement